This media kit should contain most answers you might be looking for in regards to the book, speaking engagements, interviews, or R. Scott Alvord (“Scott”) himself. If you are planning a review of the book or an interview with the author, please let us know where you will be airing or posting the results. We’d like to link to it for our supporters and to help you boost your viewers and ratings.
Please contact us if you have questions not covered on this page.
Basic Overview of the Book
Instead of repeating all the details, just visit the About the Book page on this website.
- It has a HUGE target audience (10% of all currently employed adults).
- It is very interesting, contains excellent concepts, examples, and even humor.
- It is not a thin book that just touches on business startup and growth concepts; it is thick and thorough (within reason).
- It provides dynamic (updated, relevant) resources, downloadable forms, and expanded details by taking the reader to areas of this website.
- This book turns dreams of business ownership into reality. It also helps current business owners operate at a higher level of business efficiency.
Suggested Interview Questions
- Are you really a father of seven children?
- Who is your target audience for this book?
- What prompted you to write the book?
- What is the book about?
- What businesses do you own?
- When did your entrepreneurial light bulb first turn on?
- Why did you purposefully choose to self-publish your first book instead of seek an outside book deal with a major publisher? (Hint: it leads into the next question)
- How is the development of this book a good example of an entrepreneurial endeavor? (FYI: Kickstarter. editor team, publishing company, pre-sales, website integration, strategic plan around the book)
- What advice do you have for someone who wants to fire their job and start their own business?
- How can our listeners get in contact with you? www.HireSelf.com
Key Quotes from within the Book
“Why would anyone let themselves be awakened before their body wants to get up, quickly shower, tie a silk knot around their neck, cram down half a breakfast, drive in commute traffic, work all day to make lots of money for somebody else, fight traffic home again, spend a few short hours with your family before bedtime, repeat this process all week long, for a job they are supposed to be grateful to have?” –R. Scott Alvord, Fire Your Job, Hire Yourself
“What is the major difference between a self-made man/woman and one who struggles throughout their life? Luck? NO! The major difference is that the self-made person got past all of their excuses of why their dream can’t be realized, and they consistently worked towards making their dream a reality. The deepest regrets near the end of your life will not be related to the things you did. The deepest regrets will be related to the things you didn’t do.” –R. Scott Alvord, Fire Your Job, Hire Yourself
“Even established, successful businesses are rapidly shedding jobs, many of which will never return due to technology efficiencies and the need to operate in a leaner economy. Employment growth in the future will have to come from new business ventures. It is critical that local, state, and national governments create an environment that welcomes and fosters startup companies, and helps them grow and hire.” –R. Scott Alvord, Fire Your Job, Hire Yourself
“The cartoon character Homer Simpson described it best, ‘Trying is the first step towards failure.’ We might chuckle at it, but if we really think about it, we will discover that many of the people we know let ‘the fear of trying’ paralyze them into just remaining the same. Failure to try is the worst kind of failure.” –R. Scott Alvord, Fire Your Job, Hire Yourself
“You don’t have to fire your job before hiring yourself. Many entrepreneurs start one or more businesses as a part-time side gig, thus, taking most of the risk out of the equation. If your business takes off, you can then consider whether it’s appropriate to turn in that letter of resignation.” –R. Scott Alvord, Fire Your Job, Hire Yourself (Chapter 2, Advantages)
Promotional Blurb Suggestions
Yep, we’re working on this section too. Well, we’re not actually working on it right now, but we plan to do so. To be completely honest, it actually is possible that we are working on it right now as you read this, but the chances of that really happening at the same time that you are reading are incredible. You can sit there and press Refresh over and over and see if anything changes. Otherwise, it might be a good idea if you stop wasting your time reading this section and move on to the next section. In fact, at the time of creating this section, we kept telling ourselves that we should stop writing this and just move too. Otherwise we could have used that time to actually write the real content for this section instead of a weird placeholder. Are you still reading this? How weird is that? (By the way, you’re going to LOVE this book!)
About the Author
There is a page on this site that tells you about R. Scott Alvord
Photos and Images
You can use the following images IF you are using them in a positive way to promote the book, author, or concept. Contact us if you have questions, need higher quality digital images, or would like family photos.
PLEASE do not use other images of Scott (e.g., Facebook, etc.) without specific permission.