Selecting a Domain Name
A domain name is the main website address. For example, the domain name of this website is HireSelf.com. Google’s domain name is Google.com and Advanced Development Concepts has a domain name of ADCBiz.com.
The chapter of the book, Fire Your Job, Hire Yourself, that likely brought you to this web page, shared numerous techniques for selecting a great domain name. This page provides some additional resources.
The Most Expensive Domain Names
The most expensive domain names ever purchased (at the time of this writing):
At the time of this writing, the domain names that have sold for the highest prices ever recorded include…drum roll please…:
- Insurance.com, $35.6 million, 2010.
- VacationRentals.com, $35 million, 2007.
- PrivateJet.com, $30.18 million, 2012
- Internet.com, $18 million, 2009.
- 360.com, $17 million, 2015
- Insure.com, $16 million, 2009.
- Fund.com, £9.99 million, 2008.
- Sex.com, $14 million, 2014.
- Hotels.com, $11 million, 2001.
- Porn.com, $9.5 million, 2007.
Companies that Sell Domain Names
This contains a list of companies that sell domain names. These companies have been vetted.
- All of the hosting companies listed in the next section provide excellent tools to allow you to buy a domain name that is not currently owned. Their prices vary so if you only care about price, do a little shopping. However, it will be cheaper to buy your domain from the same company that will be hosting your website! Otherwise you may have to pay a transfer fee to move the domain.
- If you want help selecting the perfect domain name, Advanced Development Concepts, LLC has excellent services.
- This will soon be a list…
Companies that Host Websites
Below is a list of companies that host websites. Some companies are better at hosting specific types of websites than others so it somewhat depends on the type of website that you are wanting to host:
- BlueHost.com – known for excellent hosting of WordPress websites (easy setup) and many others.
- Advanced Publishing Concepts (their website isn’t setup yet but if you contact them, they can beat BlueHost’s pricing…and they do their hosting on BlueHost’s servers because they have white-labelled their services). The website you’re viewing right now is hosted through APC!
- 1and1.com – very cheap but their services are very basic and don’t provide the technical configuration that many others provide.
- More coming….
The Longest Single-Word Domain Name
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-Llantysiliogogogoch.com (yes, hyphen is included, but there is also a version of the domain name without the hyphen)
Look like gibberish? It’s not. It is actually the name of a large village and community on the island of Anglesey in Wales. They renamed their community to this whopper as a way of drawing tourists, and mentions in books, eh? In short, the name translates to, “The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio’s of the red cave.” Locals call the village, Llanfair for short.
Here’s a link that lets you hear what it sounds like when it’s spoken.
Other Domain Related Resources
Yup, this is coming soon as well.